Home Relative's Permit

South Africa Relative's Permit

A South African Relative's Permit is a type of temporary residency permit issued to a foreign national who is a member of the immediate family of a South African citizen or permanent resident, provided that such citizen or permanent resident provides the prescribed financial assurance.

Includes spouse and life partner permits, heterosexual and homosexual.

The prescribed financial assurance is an amount of ZAR 5000 per person per month, to be proven by means of a salary advice or bank statement. This assurance is not required where the applicant is a spouse or dependent minor child.

The permit may be issued for a maximum of 2 years for family relatives, and a maximum of 3 years for spouse or life partner.

Can be endorsed to work, conduct business or study.

You may also be interested in our section on obtaining Permanent Residency as a Relative of a Citizen (or permanent resident).