Home Direct Residency Spouse or Partner of a Citizen (or Permanent Resident)

South Africa Permanent Residency - Spouse or Partner of a Citizen

A foreign national who has been the spouse or life partner of a South African citizen or permanent resident for at least 5 years may apply for permanent residency.

This is subject to:

  • The Director-General being satisfied that a good faith relationship exists.
    Unmarried couples in a life partnership must submit an affidavit, attesting to their spousal relationship.
    Married couples will be required to submit their marriage certificate.
  • The permit shall lapse if at any time within 2 years of its issuance, the Director-General has any inclination that the good faith relationship no longer exists.